Privilege

My uncle is an average white male. He is 5’10, 180lbs, and lives in a suburban neighborhood in St George. He makes $120,000/yr and graduated with his masters from BYU. He has 3 kids and goes to church every week. He is what you could call the average white American. His problem is that he is ignorant. He doesn’t believe that privilege exists. He thinks that because he had to work hard to get where he is at in life that others of minorities just use privilege as an excuse to not work hard. He fully believes that if he acknowledges the existence of white privilege that it will discredit him and all the hard things he has done to get to where he is at in life.

To me this is so funny because I am also white, I have also done a lot of hard things and have a lot of achievements but I do believe white privilege is a thing. It’s almost impossible to turn the blind eye and ignore the facts about white privilege. When I hear these horror stories about children being arrested because of their color, and people being murdered because somebody thought they were armed I just feel absolutely sick. I almost feel a sense of guilt too, because being white I have never experienced these things before. I have lived as a majority my entire life. Not once have I have been scared or fearful because of the color of my skin.

I think the way we can better educate about white privilege is to educate. We educate by talking about difficult things more often. We can educate by giving voice to those who don’t have a voice. When talk more about this and raise awareness in the communities we live in it helps make the minorities feel more comfortable. If we can make minorities feel like they are the majority then we will have done our part well and that is our goal.